West Calydon - GWR
Great Western stock photo: cab of 4972: St Brides Hall
A small pairie 4566 (Springside kit) with 'B Set' (Westdale kit) leaving the station - just about to pass the signal box (scratch-built). Beyond is the line to the engine shed with coaling stage (scratch-built). A point on the main-line leads to the double slip which provides access between the goods arrival road, the run-round loop and the goods head shut. All pointwork is hand-built using C&L components.
A more distance view of 4566 and a 57XX class No.7706 (Vulcan kit) on the shed road. Note the goods head-shunt runs parallel with the main-line; the line in the foreground is a siding.
During the construction of the layout it was decided that West Calydon merited a signal box albeit a small one! This is scratch-built from plastic card with Springside castings for the interior and the fire buckets. 7706 is having its offside toolbox replaced, however the fitter has wandered off!
4566 now making its way past the engine shed (scratch-built) with King Class engine No.6000, King George V on shed. 6000 is a much reworked and modified Oakville kit and is modelled in the condition it pulled the Director's Special in 1935. (The King's safety value bonnet does just clear the shed doorway!)
So that's where the loco fitter has got to...... .drinking tea and chatting! And he's got 2 jobs on the go...... he's also removed the driver's side nameplate from KGV for cleaning.
Looks like Mogul 5318 (part scratch-built) has been given the same cleaning treatment as 6000.
Thanks to a solid design of baseboard (box section) Kings can safely operate over the line. Here a young GWR fan (obviously a relative of one of the station staff) enjoys the view from the starter signal gantry of KGV about to depart.